Things to do Before Leaving for Vacation
Before you leave for your vacation you might want to keep in mind taking care of these
important, yet sometimes forgotten tasks.
- Put your mail and/or newspapers on hold. You can request a US mail hold at https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/.
- Pay any bills that might be due while you are away, or set up automatic payments.
- Call your bank and credit cards to let them know you are traveling. This will prevent your bank from putting a hold on your accounts thinking your cards are stolen when used in a different state or country.
- Set up an automated e-mail response letting people know you are out of the office.
- Refill any prescriptions.
- Download any apps, movies or shows for yourself or your children on your iPad or tablet.
- Charge any portable electronics you are bringing with you.
- Unplug electronics.
- Set your thermostat around four to five degrees higher or lower than you normally do, depending on the season.
- Check your destination high/low temperatures and pack accordingly.
- Set up timers for your lights around your house. Turn on any motion detection lights.
- Throw away perishable foods in your refrigerator or pantry.
- Take out the trash.
- Do the dishes or run the dishwasher.
- Water any plants. If traveling for a longer amount of time have someone periodically water them for you.
- Have pet care in place. Kennels have limited space especially around holidays, set up pet care as soon as you have your travel dates.
- Wash your sheets and make the bed. Nothing says ‘welcome home’ more than a clean bed.
Most importantly, enjoy your vacation!!